Cameron Mackintosh provides update on the return of The Phantom of the Opera to the West End, slated for late July
The Phantom of the Opera Producer Cameron Mackintosh has commented on the return of the gargantuan musical – currently set to return to Her Majesty’s Theater later this year.
The show’s long-standing life has been in and out of the press over the past year, following reports that the original production had been moved out of its original home for renovations and redevelopments may take place in the Haymarket space.
Talk to The telegraph, Mackintosh promised a “more opulent” Ghost, with a revamped chandelier (one of the coin’s most iconic features) that “comes back bigger and better. It’ll move faster and be more terrifying.” The show’s cast will remain the same size, this has been confirmed.
Mackintosh and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Really Useful Group (who composed the piece) released a statement earlier this month that the West End show will use “the acclaimed 14-piece orchestration that was created for international productions of the show, “adding that” these orchestrations are just as exciting and rich as the original but would not have been possible with the technology available in 1986. The New Ghost the orchestra will remain one of the most important in the West End. “
The telegraph confirmed that the new West End show, directed by Seth Sklar-Heyn, will be modeled after the touring production and will use the orchestrations designed for the 25th anniversary tour version by Lloyd Webber and David Cullen. It will use the original designs by Maria Bjornson.
With the orchestra’s size reduced from 27 to 14, there was an outcry on social media, with the Musicians’ Union also issuing a statement saying it was “sad and disappointed” with the plans.
Mackintosh supported the movement, saying, “Am I sorry? I’m sorry they are upset, but I find it strange why musicians would want to keep doing the same thing year after year. I think we shouldn’t hold out. endless jobs as actors or musicians. It’s not the public service, we create art. “
He also added that “with such fine margins, no one in their right mind nowadays would consider putting a 30-piece orchestra in this theater.”
The orchestra’s plans were drawn up by Lloyd Webber, who said The telegraph: “Current technology allows for excellent reproduction of sounds, especially woodwinds and brass, but the skill of the keyboardist should not be underestimated and this orchestration demands a lot from other players who must be at solo level.”
Mackintosh also noted that, Covid or not, the production of the pre-pandemic production was reaching the end of its life, given the site’s structural issues (as shown here), and some kind of shift was inevitable.
As such, the ability to take the production on tour in Her Majesty’s and adapt it for the West End was, according to Mackintosh, a fluke: “If this other production hadn’t existed, we wouldn’t be. not standing here watching the potential reopening of Ghost“The producer said it would cost £ 6million to rehabilitate the play for the West End.
the Wretched The producer concluded with a strong statement: “I have spent 50 years delivering the highest quality musicals this country has ever seen and I’m not about to stop now.”
What remains clear is that the public won’t know exactly how Ghost will appear and sound in the revamped version of Her Majesty until it reopens – currently scheduled for July 27, 2021.